Accidents happen. However, when an injury occurs due to the negligence or wrongdoing of another, victims deserve to have the damages they suffered recognized and compensated appropriately as required by law. North Carolina allows these victims to seek compensation, but the process can be often be complex, stressful, and unforgiving. Injury victims often face a myriad of logistical and financial challenges in the aftermath of their accident and are anxious to know what damages they can claim in an injury suit.
At Kornbluth Ginsberg Law Group, P.A., we always take a comprehensive view of the hardships our clients have faced due to their injury. Our approach makes sure that our clients' injury claims are comprehensive and seek relief for both immediate concerns and long-term ramifications of their injury. We can help you navigate North Carolina personal injury laws.
What Is Personal Injury?
In North Carolina, personal injury means an injury caused by another person's negligence or wrongful behavior. It could be from a car accident, an incident on someone else's property, or any other type of harm that happened due to another party's error. A personal injury lawyer in North Carolina can help you get the compensation you need if you were hurt and it was not your fault.
What Are the Most Common Personal Injury Accidents?
Personal injury accidents can cause devastating, life-altering injuries that require compensation according to North Carolina personal injury law. When an individual is injured as a result of another person's negligence or wrongful behavior, they are entitled to pursue compensation for their injuries and suffering. Common personal injury cases involve car accidents, slip and falls on someone else’s property, wrongful death, product liability issues and more. In each case, victims may be eligible for financial restitution if the other party is found liable for the accident. A qualified personal injury lawyer in Durham, NC can help victims navigate North Carolina personal injury laws and seek maximum compensation for their losses.
What Personal Injuries Occur Most Often?
It is important for victims to understand their rights under personal injury law in order to get the compensation they deserve for their losses and suffering. This is because personal injuries often exact a hefty toll on your time, emotional wellbeing, and finances. Such injuries can include, but are not limited to:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: These injuries are caused by a strong force or trauma to the head and can include concussions, skull fractures, contusions, cognitive impairment, and more.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: These injuries can result in paralysis due to damage to the spinal cord or nerves around it.
- Soft Tissue Damage: This type of injury is often caused by slips and falls as well as car accidents that involve whiplash or other similar types of trauma to the muscles, ligaments and tendons throughout the body.
- Broken Bones/Fractures: Fractures from personal injury cases typically come from auto accidents where passengers are jolted in their seat belts during collisions. This can cause broken wrists, shoulders and arms.
- Burns & Electrical Shock: Exposure to electricity, such as contact with faulty wiring inside walls, is one common personal injury accident suffered in North Carolina. Contact with electrically charged items may lead to burns as could exposure to fire, hot liquids, or hot surfaces like oil pans and stoves.
- Lacerations & Contusions: Cuts often require stitches while contusions (bruising) usually involves deep tissue bruises caused by blunt force traumas such as falling onto something such as a fence or brick wall.
What Do Personal Injury Lawyers Do?
When you or a loved one has been injured due to the negligence of another, it is important to understand your rights and options for seeking compensation. Hiring a personal injury attorney can help ensure that you get the full compensation you deserve. But what do personal injury attorneys actually do? Is it worth hiring a personal injury attorney for your lawsuit?
Here are some of the key services personal injury lawyers provide:
- Advising clients on potential personal injury claims
- Evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of a personal injury case
- Investigating personal injury cases to determine liability
- Analyzing medical records, accident reports, police reports, and other relevant documents to build a strong personal injury case
- Gathering evidence from witnesses, experts, and people involved in the accident or incident
- Negotiating settlement agreements with insurance companies or opposing counsel
- Representing clients at court hearings and proceedings
- Explaining complex legal concepts in plain language for easy understanding
- Monitoring changes in personal injury law that may affect your claim
- Calculating damages accurately based on current market rates if needed
Do I Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
At Kornbluth Ginsberg Law Group, P.A., our personal injury practice is dedicated to leveling the playing field for victims of negligence and ensuring that their claim—whether it is against a defendant or an insurance provider—is compellingly and effectively put forth.
Here are four reasons to entrust your case to our firm:
- We have a diverse legal practice.
- We provide dependable advocacy.
- We have an experienced legal team.
- We provide individualized attention.
Elements of Negligence You Need to Win Your Claim
As with other states across the country, North Carolina has a time frame during which you must file your personal injury lawsuit. If you miss this deadline, called the statute of limitations, you will not be able to pursue compensation through a civil lawsuit. The statute of limitations in North Carolina is three years from the date of the injury, so it's critical that you contact a skilled injury attorney as soon as possible before time runs out!
If you have filed your claim within the timeframe required by the statute of limitations, there are four key elements that you will need to prove negligence and recover damages.
- Causation- An individual must be able to prove how the at-fault party did something wrong, or failed to do what a reasonable individual would have done under the same circumstances.
- Duty- Most entities have a "standard of care" in order to avoid causing harm to others. If you can prove that standard of care has been breached, this will help with the success of your injury claim.
- Breach of Duty- This refers to the direct cause of the damages that you are suffering from. Any insurance company will require proof that their insured party caused you hard by failing to take appropriate actions under the circumstances.
- Verifiable Damages- Once the insurance company has proof of negligence, they will require proof of the nature and extent of the damages you are suffering from. Most claims are separated into two categories of damages: special damages and general damages.
Maximize Your Personal Injury Compensation
When you've suffered a personal injury due to someone else's negligence, it's important to understand your rights and options for seeking compensation. At Kornbluth Ginsberg Law Group, P.A., our dedicated team of personal injury lawyers is committed to advocating for you. With a focus on thorough investigation, expert guidance, and strong negotiation skills, we aim to secure the compensation you deserve.
Here are some ways our personal injury lawyers can help you:
- Thorough investigation: We will gather evidence, interview witnesses, and review medical records to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Negotiation skills: Our attorneys have extensive experience negotiating with insurance companies and will fight for a fair settlement that covers your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
- Expert guidance: We will guide you through every step of the legal process, ensuring you understand your rights and options, and providing personalized advice based on your unique circumstances.
- Litigation representation: If necessary, we are prepared to take your case to court and provide aggressive representation to protect your interests and pursue the compensation you deserve.
From gathering evidence to navigating complex legal processes, we stand by you at every step. Whether it's negotiating fair settlements or representing your case in court, we're here to fight for your rights. Contact us today for a consultation and let us champion your cause in your personal injury claim.
How Can North Carolina Injury Attorneys Help?
Personal injury lawyers in North Carolina can help you understand the personal injury laws of North Carolina as well as your rights if you sustained an injury due to someone else’s negligence. They will explain what compensation may be available to you for expenses such as medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and more. The personal injury lawyers at Kornbluth Ginsberg Law Group, P.A., are passionate about fighting for justice for those injured due to another party's negligence or wrongdoings. Our team is ready to take on any personal injury cases in Durham, NC with genuine compassion and dedication. Contact us today for your free consultation!
We understand that every case is unique, and our injury attorneys in Durham have the experience that you need to successfully seek financial compensation for personal injury damages. Call us at (919) 336-1932 for help navigating North Carolina personal injury laws.
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Car Accidents
- Rollover Accidents
- Reckless Driving Accidents
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Distracted Driving
- Burn Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Personal Injury
- Scooter Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Car Accident Liability
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Pedestrian Accident
- Wrongful Death
- Workers Compensation